Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Amy's Recap

Amy's race report, Iron Girl 2008:

Is it the journey or is it the destination?

Last year, I figured that since I could swim, bike and run, to some extent, doing a tri would not be insurmountable. And it wasn't, as I did finish, and I was alive at the end (by some accounts). It wasn't pretty, though, and I learned where much improvement was needed.

That was 2007, and in my excitement of having finished, I did what I could to encourage my sister-in-law Deena to give it a go with me for 2008. We both signed up soon after registration opened, and being smarter than I am, Deena actually found a way to ensure that we would both improve on our fitness and readiness- she found Lloyd and On-Point Fitness. The chances of my having stumbled upon this group were small since I live out east by Annapolis, but it sounded like such a good idea. And practice swims were to be held 2 blocks from where I work in Silver Spring. Karma!

After 12 weeks of training, the big day was finally here. I first saw Cherry, and we were checking out the lay of the land. There was much excitement as everyone was setting themselves up in the transition area. Eventually we found Sally, Deena and Keanne- and, to my great surprise and joy, there was a whole team of On-Pointers there to join in the early morning fun! The camaraderie helped calm me down as we headed back to prepare for the swim.

Ah yes, the swim. At least this year, our caps were purple. Last year mine was yellow, and it just was so not-me. I started at the back of the group, which is pretty much where I ended. Or was it the back of the next group? I kept up a steady TI stroke the entire time, calmly, without breaking, except when getting kicked in the face. Before I knew it, I was at the finish. I was feeling fresh and it was marvelous!

Then, the bike. Deena was in my age wave but had finished first (yay, Deena!) so I rushed to start when she did. She was one of the only two people I ended up passing- pretty much, people were whizzing by me most of the time. The hills were quite doable- I kept a strong and steady pace throughout the challenging course. Heard family and friends yelling for me as I was biking into the park- that was a thrill!

Finally, the run. I still felt strong (maybe it was the 4 Gus), and I was amused and energized by the chalk note to me, care of Lloyd, cheering me along as I tromped around the path. Started to tire at the big last hill, but I saved a last spurt of energy to finish strong- and as soon as I heard the cowbell and saw my team, I was flying! What a way to finish!

As I look back on this summer, certainly training with the group and with Lloyd can be credited with my 15% improvement over my last years' time. But it was more than that. Each and every person in our group brought their own energy to our merry band- we were a true team, working individually toward the same goal. We sweated, pushed, ached, and inspired each other to do our best, and to achieve. I couldn't have asked for a more supportive coach and team.

Looking forward to Iron Girl 2009!

No comments: