Thursday, September 24, 2009

My First Tri @ the Nation's







I started to think what I should write in my race report about 15 minutes into the swim, or more accurately when I was floating on Potomac River facing up at the blue sky while other athletes were making waves and splashes. It’s because the water was so dark I lost my sense of vision, which led to a panic. I was drinking water and getting it up my nose. Therefore I was lying on my side (sweet spot) and kicking the first half. Then my legs became tired and tense. Some knots showed up in my calves and I was about to cramp. I thought I better swim now, and then I did. I swam back, breathing on the same side every two strokes, instead of three or five on both sides as usual. I still couldn’t get the sighting right, but I figured why bother anyways, just to swim parallel to the line of fast swimmers. It worked. I made back to shore all right.

T1 was straightforward because the day before I walked it through and picked up a good visual reference to help me find my spot from distance (the 2nd logo sign on the fence in this case). So I stopped at the right place even before I recognized my bike and stuff. My legs were cramping badly but I was too thrilled to slow down. Bike started well, shoes clipped on easily and spirit high again. After about 10 minutes fast spin on the small chain ring, my cramps went away. I was all psyched up, flying and passing. The route is absolutely beautiful. I felt privileged to be able to ride on it without worrying about cars or traffic lights. There are some slopes, not steep at all but a couple of them long enough to provide a nice down hill speed. It was funny many water bottles were scattered on the road, so watch out for those. I was very glad no one’s Gatorade was shooting at me or landing right in front. But I did run onto an empty GU though. Water ran out faster than I thought, so next time I will bring a refill bottle.

T2 was fine for the same reason. It was just like how I practiced plus running with bike and grabbing a cup of water on the way. Running along a nice park with a basin and monument view was uplifting. My legs cramped again for a while but nothing major. Cheer squads along the roads were very encouraging: “all most there!”, “you can do it!”, “the finish is around the corner!” and my favorite one “go 2923!”. I bought potassium supplement after the race.

When the finish line was at sight, I checked on my watch and started to pick up speed. I knew I would make my goal time, but now why not do slightly better? There I ran to the finish, pulled my sunglasses up and smiled. I was glad to see Lloyd right in front of racks of medals. He gave me a big hug and put a medal around my neck.

I would definitely do it again next year. I have some resolutions before the next time:
1. Learn to swim with my eyes shut. So I will be able to swim in any kind of water-based fluid in any colors.
2. Eat more bananas and keep well hydrated before swim.
3. Train harder. I will thank myself later.

My very first triathlon was a dream come true. With proper training, determination, and love for sports and nature, everyone can do it too.
by Julia XU

No comments: