Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sally's Race Report

Race Report – Iron Girl August 24, 2008

I could barely sleep the night before but arrived excited. I think I was actually more nervous for the dress rehearsal swim three weeks before than I was for the race. After setting up transition, I ran into most of my On Point teammates, which took me out of myself. I really felt like I was a part of something and not in this alone.

Entering the water for the swim, it was a mucky mess beneath my feet. So I was ready and grateful for the start. Seeing Mary and Lloyd smiling at me was one of the best parts of that unforgettable moment. The low sun was blinding me until I rounded the first buoy. But after that, it was smooth sailing. I slowed down toward the end, as Lloyd instructed, and improvised long enough to go into the sweet spot for a moment to – er, uh – avoid having to use up time later for the port-a-potty in transition. It was a useful if unhygienic strategy. (I recommend it.) AND I ended up shaving 5 minutes off my usual 1 kilometer swim time! The adrenaline of race day helped a lot.

T1 took a little extra time because my feet were so muddy. Glad I brought that extra water bottle to rinse off my feet. (Thanks whoever gave that suggestion.)

The bike ride was tough. I was a little dazed. It took a few minutes to get mentally oriented. But at least we knew what to expect with this very hilly course. A woman wiped out hard right as she was trying to pass me during a long climb. It was frightening. I wanted to help her but was afraid I’d get hit by the others whirring around me. I was glad when it was over. I was pleased with my time. But with the crowded field, the fast downhills, the traffic, etc., this leg seemed the most potentially dangerous and out of my control. It was joyous to see “my peeps” gathered to cheer me on just as I rode in.

T2 was a breeze. Just had to change shoes and throw on the visor. I brought a water bottle along so I could drink as I ran.

I was so relieved to be on terra firm for the run. It was starting to get hot and plenty of people passed me. But I just kept steady, hitting my cadence like I was in automatic pilot. Imagine my surprise when I saw Lloyd’s handiwork. All along the route on the pavement, he had chalked special notes to us as a team and to each of us by name. It was such a huge morale boost. When I read, “relax, lift, lean,” it re-focused me to think about “chi” form and get out of my own head. I was in the moment and almost home…

I worked hard and I did it. We all did. Yeah, us!! It was the fun and motivation of working with a fantastic, dedicated team that helped to give me the tools and confidence to do it. I’ll never forget this experience and you all. It’s like a graduation for me. I’ve spent the last five years consciously transforming my life physically and spiritually. Thank you for being a part of the journey.

Love,

Iron Gal Sal

No comments: