Thursday, August 28, 2008

Teammate and Photographer Mary's Race Report

Mary’s Race-Day Report

As I was woken up from a night of troubled sleep (too much excitement and anticipation), I hit the snooze button wondering why it was still pitch black outside and rolled over. Thank goodness I had laid out all of my clothes the night before so I could grab that crucial five more minutes. My On Point Fitness shirt was ironed, its matching hat was lying on top besides them were cargo pants, with pockets for my chapstick, phone and crucial items needed for the day. I listened to Lloyd leaving my packed bag sitting beside of the door awaiting the moment that I sleepily stumbled out of the house.

Nutrition (coffee) in one hand and my bag in the other Barbara and I zombie walked out the door to head over to pick up Nicole and Suzanne. The ride to the tri was silent. Some of us nervously going over our race day strategies, wondering if the prime cheering spots would still be open when we got there, if there would be long lines to the porta johns and where would eat after the race was over. The air was wrought with anticipation! Others of us were just sleeping. (cough, Nicole)

Upon arriving we were met by a long line of taillights. Oh no, what if we miss the entire race sitting here waiting to get in, I thought, as I looked at my watch and it said 5:50. My fears were soon quelled as we were directed by many men to a parking spot (who I am still convinced were husbands who wives were doing the tri and were forced to volunteer). We grabbed our bags and before heading down I double checked to make sure I had everything I needed for the big day ahead…sunglasses-check, camera-check, extra fluids-check, toilet paper-check.

Off we went to find our teammates who had arrived even before us. (and I thought I was nervous about arriving on time!) Everyone looked the part of a true triathlete; sitting on the curbside, in spandex, in the dark. I felt proud to be a part of this group of women even after I got dirty looks for making them pose for numerous pictures. As the sun came up and we could finally see, I looked down at a sea of bikes and women in the transition area. I looked at the gigantic crowd and the many children and dogs with shirts declaring their moms, sisters and even grandmothers were Irongirls. I peered over towards the massive steaming lake and appreciatively thought, man, that’s going to be cold-glad I’m not getting in there.

As the announcer rushed the women out of the transition area, Lloyd and I speed walked our way down to the lake to find the perfect spot for the start (knocking small children out of our way and stepping on barefooted triathletes—we had to get there!). There was a great spot to see the many waves of swimmers into the lake-reassuringly enough directly beside of the “No Swimming” sign. We stood out on a series of, somewhat slippery, rocks where we were waiting for a spotting of someone from the group. Then I heard the yell from Lloyd “Sally! I see you! Sally! Over here!” followed by the first clank of a cowbell that would later cease to be silenced. Through the morning we saw everyone from the group—Sally, Keanne, Amy, Deana and Cherry and a few other folks who had trained with Lloyd as well. I loved spotting someone we knew so we could get everyone to stare at us as we went berserk yelling at them. I know our teammates in the water enjoyed that little bit of a distraction as well (at least that’s what I was telling myself). We got several waves, lots of smiles, a flexed muscle or two and only got flipped off once (just kidding about that but I was waiting). Everyone looked so prepared, confident and quite dashing, in their goggles and swim caps, as they entered the water. We did see one lady with a camera, attached to little floats, taking pictures as she was swimming and I wondered why Lloyd hadn’t told us we could do that as well.

After the waves were gone, then we had to decide where to go to get the next great sighting. As we made it back to the bikes, I was shocked to hear that the pros were coming in from the run. Wow. I made it just in time to get a shot of Keanne leaving on her bike (only of your butt, though-sorry!). There was commotion everywhere around me-I had to focus on my task ahead-got to watch for teammates-see them in time to get a picture and to yell really loud.

Eventually we found a sweet little cheering spot, under a shade tree (it was hot!) near the end of the run course. I called Barb, Nicole and Suzanne to leave their lounging spot on the hill, stop eating the free packs of granola and come join us. It was a frantic search to spot a runner coming down the path-identify them and yell for them. We all had to be on top of our game. For ten minutes I thought Lloyd knew everyone in the tri-community as he yelled out name after name. Then it was brought to my attention that everyone’s name is written on their bibs. Right on-it was on then.

Carla and her boyfriend joined us and to my surprise joined in Lloyd’s mad cow bell ringing extravaganza. Then I saw Keanne’s sister with one as well! I secretly was jealous that the noise I was making dimmed in comparison to their raucous commotion. I witnessed as runners were moved from a slow jog, a dead walk and even a one-legged hop to an all out dash upon hearing the craziness that Lloyd inspired from us all.

It was hard…our hands hurt from clapping them so hard (hence the cow bell jealously), our feet hurt from jumping up and down, my head hurt from hearing myself scream. We had trained hard for this - I only hoped our training could sustain us. We were running out of water-nutrition supplies were low-I just didn’t know if we could make it. . We were a team, though. If one of us got tired of yelling, another one of us stepped in and took over. It only took one voice to jumpstart a chorus. Everyone from our group there was cheering were like animals.

It was totally worth it, in the end, to see frowns turned upside down, legs re-energerized and looks from startled runners as we screamed their names. We learned from our leader the secret chants that could change this race such as:

· Eat her up!

· Reel her in!

· Dig deep – I know you can do it!

· I see you! I see you (insert name here)!

· Catch her!

· Catch that young girl! Don’t’ let her beat you! Don’t let her pass you!

· I’m not going to stop ringing this bell until you run!

As we saw each of our teammates cross the finish line I though, “Damn they look good!” I bet we’re going to have some good race finish photos from this bunch. By the end of the race everyone’s family and friends were there in support, all of us trying to dodge the sweaty hugs of the elated finishers. Medals were being shown off and I swear I saw a few people kissing theirs. It was an end to a great day. (as soon as we got lunch). J
----------------------------
Congratulations to all of you! It was so very exciting seeing you all compete in this race. I was so proud to think back to the journey that led you all here. This was the first triathlon I’ve even seen (this is excluding the many youtube videos I obsessively watch on a daily basis). Having our race in a few weeks, this was great motivation!

Thanks guys-you rock!

Mary

No comments: